Arriving and Leaving with Currency

If you are carrying $10,000 AUD cash or more (or foreign currency equivalent) into or out of Australia you will need to fill out a Cross-Border Movement – Physical Currency (CBM-PC) form. If asked at the border, you must also tell a Customs or police officer, if you are carrying any Bearer Negotiable Instruments (BNIs) – also known as promissory notes, travellers cheques, personal cheques, money orders and postal orders. Even if the BNI has no face value (for example, a blank cheque), it still needs to be disclosed to a Customs or police officer on request. You will be given a form to fill out if required.

For more information visit the Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (AUSTRAC) website or call the AUSTRAC Help Desk on 1300 021 037.